Monday, October 22, 2007

multi-tasking

hey just wondering what your thoughts are on multi-tasking and its effectiveness and when it is and isnt appropriate. What are the benefits and what are the disadvantages? can it actually have a big difference in our lives or is it just something that we should do or not do automatically as the case may be. What about the men versus women in terms of their ability to do it? Do you think that males are more capable of doing it more than they are given credit for? Has the introduction of technology, the increase in time limits and the need it now attitude changed the need for multi-tasking and therefore is it being used more these days? Do you think that significant errors are that are being made frequently and is there really that much time being saved in the long run.

Your thoughts would as always would be greatly appreciated :)

2 comments:

My Blog said...

Multi-tasking in my opinion is good for focussing attention and getting you motivted to crack on with a set task. it is disadvantageous in the respect that the attention devoted to the topic is divided and therefor the best result may not be achieved.
Technology such as computers can be used when doing another task, but sometimes it serves as a distraction and may get in the way of a more important task. just my ideas.

Cheers

Keith Henderson said...

Bre,

As a male I must confess that multi-tasking is not my strong point. I have found that most of the stupid mistakes I make occur when I am trying to satisfy more than one motive at the one time.` For example, having a chat while trying to perform an experiment at work. It even effects me when I am overly pre-occupied with strong feelings of joy or sadness. I find that I just need to walk away and feel my feelings for a while if complex tasks are at hand. Otherwise quality of work will be compromised.

In saying this I feel that I experience greater work 'flow' than most. When I need to focus on something ie. an essay, I can apply myself for long periods of time without distraction. In my research for the procrastination essay, I identified myself with the student that uses carefully orchastrated cycles of procrastination and cramming to produce optimum performance.

In short, I feel that the ability to multi-task is a definite positive for all those people that can divide their attention to more than one thing at the same time effectively. This enables them to manage multiple aspects of their life simultaneously in times of stress.

For people like me I am resigned to the fact that I must focus on one thing at a time , especially important tasks. This means that around exam time I lock myself into a darkened room, turn my phone on silent and block away the external world when others are probably reading over their notes at the coffee lounge, chatting with friends, oblivious to the screaming baby and awful music playing in the background.

I wish that could be me.

Keith